Solid October brings WMC's net to $466,283
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:28 AM
Greater than anticipated patient revenues at Winneshiek Medical Center resulted in a better bottom line in October.
According to WMC Chief Financial Officer Lynn Luloff, net patient revenues came in almost $4 million above budget in all patient settings, including outpatient, skilled, inpatient, Home Health, Hospice and ED.
She said while operating expenses of $3.9 million also were above budget, year to date, they are still under budget by 1.9 percent.
The net gain for the month was $127,350, bringing the Medical Center's net gain for the year to $466,283.
Luloff reported she is also anticipating WMC's Medicare reimbursement rates to increase, which will continue to help the bottom line.
New at WMC
In other matters, the Board discussed the addition of Mini Locke, physicians assistant, to the ear, nose and throat (ENT) practice at WMC. She will work with Dr. William Remington.
WMC's ENT practice treats conditions of the ear, nose, throat, head and neck, including hearing loss, dizziness, sinus problems, voice problems and skin cancer.
WMC also recently hired Rebecca Gesing, ARNP (advanced registered nurse practitioner) to work with its occupational health program.
Gesing joins Kris Heffern, ARNP, in the program, which provides 24/7 coverage for injury care, on-site early intervention, assistance with return-to-work and work restrictions, simplified billing, direct communication with employers and workers' compensation carriers, prework/preplacement screenings, work conditioning, ergonomics and job-site analysis, hearing screenings, preventative education, flu clinics, acute rehabilitation and more.
WMC's occupational health program works directly with local businesses to manage employee health, wellness and injury matters.
Clinic Adminsitrator Dave Rooney announced the addition of a new, state-of-the-art digital mammography system.
Rooney said WMC has six trained mammography technologists, two of whom are trained for women with breast implants. All of them have been through the training necessary to master the new technology.
In other matters, the Board heard from Chief Operating Officer Gretchen Dahlen about the Medical Center's new website, www.winmedical.org.
"The website has been redesigned and is open for business," said Dahlen.
Dahlen explained the redesign involved a professional design firm and is more user-friendly and easier to navigate.
"It also offers online bill paying," she said.
In other matters, the Board discussed the fact 97.5 percent of WMC employees have been vaccinated against influenza, with the other 2.5 percent having conditions where vaccination is not recommended.
WMC also has doses of the influenza vaccine, both injection and mist form, available to the public by appointment. Patients can either pay at the time of service, or have the charges submitted to insurance.
For more information, call 563-382-2911.